Best SIM Card in Canada for International Students 2024. Canada is a popular choice for international students who want to pursue higher education and experience a diversified culture and high-quality lifestyle. You might be worried about how to stay in touch with your loved ones back home or how to utilize the internet for both personal and professional purposes if you plan to study in Canada in 2024. Based on their service availability pricing and coverage speed we will compare the top SIM cards in Canada for international students in this blog post.
SIM Card Options in Canada
There are many mobile service providers in Canada that offer different types of SIM cards for local and international calls and data. Some of the main providers are:
- Rogers Wireless: The largest and oldest telecommunication company in Canada with the widest coverage and the fastest 5G network1.
- Telus Mobility: The second-largest telecommunication company in Canada with a strong presence in Western Canada and a reliable 5G network2.
- Bell Mobility: The third-largest telecommunication company in Canada with good coverage and a competitive 5G network3.
- Freedom Mobile: A low-cost telecommunication company that operates mainly in urban areas of Ontario British Columbia and Alberta4.
- Chatr Mobile: A prepaid telecommunication company that offers affordable plans with unlimited talk and text within designated zones5.
- Fido Solutions: A subsidiary of Rogers Wireless that offers low-cost plans with flexible features and perks.
- Koodo Mobile: A subsidiary of Telus Mobility that offers no-contract plans with attractive discounts and rewards.
- Lucky Mobile: A subsidiary of Bell Mobility that offers prepaid plans with unlimited talk text and data within designated zones.
Each of these providers has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the coverage speed price and availability of their services. You can buy a SIM card from any of their service centers or authorized dealers across the country. A passport-sized photo and a copy of your passport or visa are required. Depending on the operator a SIM card might cost anywhere between 5 and 20 Canadian dollars.
How to Choose the Best SIM Card in Canada for International Students
The best SIM card for international students in Canada will rely on a number of variables including your study destination duration budget and usage. You can use the following advice to help you choose wisely:
You should use a Rogers SIM card if you are attending school in a remote or rural area where Rogers Wireless provides the best coverage.
If you are studying in an urban area where Telus Mobility or Bell Mobility has the best speed and 5G network you should go with a Telus or Bell SIM card.
If you are studying on a tight budget and do not need high-speed internet or extensive coverage you should go with a Freedom Mobile Chatr Mobile Fido Solutions Koodo Mobile or Lucky Mobile SIM card.
If you are studying for a short period of time and want to have some data and voice benefits without hassle you should go with a PhoneBox eSIM card. PhoneBox is a Canadian wireless telecommunications provider that offers a no-contract postpaid plan that helps to build your Canadian credit score and provides customer service in 12 languages.
If you want to have more flexibility and convenience you can also buy two SIM cards: one from a major provider such as Rogers Telus or Bell for better coverage and speed and one from a low-cost provider such as Freedom Mobile Chatr Mobile Fido Solutions Koodo Mobile or Lucky Mobile for cheaper rates and perks.
Although studying in Canada is a wonderful experience maintaining contact can be difficult. You can take pleasure in your academic journey without worrying about expensive roaming fees or shoddy internet service by selecting the best SIM card in Canada for international students. In order to help you compare the top SIM cards in Canada for international students and select the one that best suits your requirements and tastes we wrote this blog post.
What is the best SIM card for traveling in Canada?
The best SIM card for traveling in Canada is Telus Mobility. Telus has the best 4G/5G network coverage in Canada and the best value prepaid SIM card data plans: for $70 CAD ($52 USD) you get 20 GB data. Telus also offers roaming in the US and Mexico for an extra fee. However, Telus and its subsidiary Koodo Mobile have a 100 Mbps speed cap for prepaid customers